Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Featured Seller-Reverse Clothing


L. Corina La Due of Reverse Clothing
I discovered this shop when I was looking for inspiration for outfits for my 1940s presentation in my Interior Design Studio Class. I came across her shop and was hooked. I have always thought that I would fit nicely into the 1940s, much better than the present, so when I found her designs I fell in love!

1)What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid I wanted to be a lot of things, actress, singer, ballerina (I actually took modern dance for a year) but realistically I thought I would end up a journalist. I had always been told by teachers that I wrote well and I really enjoyed writing stories. Still do when I get the time

2) If you went to college where did you go and what was your major?
I went to a few semesters of community college but it really wasn't for me. I kind of resented the fact that I had to take all these classes and study all these things that had little to do with what I was interested in order to get a degree. Although I did pretty well there, I was just really bored. My major would have been Asian Studies. I am fascinated by different languages and at the time I was studying Japanese on my own. The experience of learning in a formal setting while learning on my own taught me that I do much better on my own. Since then I have studied Mandarin, German and Italian. I'm not fluent in any yet but I've recently picked up Italian again and my test scores suggest that I am at an intermediate level. I plan to revisit German next year.

3) What are your favorite materials?
I love fabric of course. I used to call myself a fabric junkie. If you take a look around my sewing room I still am. Most recently I've become fond of vintage floral prints. I can't get enough. Whenever I come across them I have to restrain myself from buying the bolt because I am running out of room! I often pick up fabric with no special purpose in mind I just have to have it. I guess you could call that an addiction...

4)If you could have any other profession what would it be?
If I could have any other profession...I don't know. Truthfully ever since I began sewing I never wanted to do anything else. Ever. I have taken breaks from the selling part over the years, but I was always sewing anyway. If I had to pick one though I might be an interpreter. I'd get to travel, spend my time studying languages and get paid for it. That sounds like a dream to me.

5) How did you discover Etsy and what made you want to sell on it?
I discovered Etsy through a friend who sold on ebay. I've lost contact with her but we "met" both selling on ebay. We had similar tastes at the time. We were also both on livejournal and were friends there. She opened an Etsy account and raved about it. When I checked it out I saw that it was for artists only and I really loved the feel of the place. I was also pretty sick of ebay by then for many many reasons. I made the switch a few years ago. I started with a shop called Girl Is Poison but after a year I took one of my breaks from it as I had a baby and was moving. A lot of things happened at once in my life. When I decided to try my hand at selling again I realized that the "Girl Is Poison" esthetic wasn't really me anymore so I started Reverse Clothing and it has been even more successful than I had hoped.


6)If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing about Etsy what would it be?
That is a tough question. I guess I would say to myself, "Do your research." Learn more about the business end of things. I focus on the sewing aspect because that to me is the most important but truth be told, the marketing and promoting part is just as important. You can have the best product in the world but if the right consumers don't know about it, it won’t go anywhere. Even though that part isn't as fun it's crucial. On Etsy, photos, tags, descriptions (mine need work), and networking through teams are super important. Since I began Reverse Clothing I've put more effort toward these things and have seen measurable benefits because of it

See her shop here.
Facebook page
Like Reverse Clothing on Facebook because when she gets to 200 likes she will be giving away a free blouse!
Best,
Julie

2 comments: